Dr. Francisco Guarner (SPAIN)
Professor Francisco Guarner graduated in Medicine at the University of Barcelona, Spain, in 1973. He trained in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the Hospital Clinic in Barcelona with Professor Joan Rodes and at the University Clinic of Navarra (Spain) with Professor Jesus Prieto. His Ph.D. degree in Medicine was obtained at the University of Navarra in 1983 for his research studies on liver cell cytoprotection with prostaglandins. He has been Visiting Scientist and Research Fellow at the Upjohn Company in Kalamazoo (Michigan, USA, 1983), the Royal Free Hospital (London, UK, 1984), the King’s College Hospital (London, UK, 1984-1986), and the Wellcome Research Laboratories (Beckenham, UK, 1986). He joined the Digestive System Research Unit at the Hospital Vall d’Hebron (Barcelona) in 1987. Professor Francisco Guarner is currently Consultant of Gastroenterology at the Digestive System Research Unit and Head of the Experimental Laboratory at the University Hospital Vall d’Hebron (Barcelona). He is co-author of 300 publications on original research or reviews, in the field of mucosal immunity, gastrointestinal inflammation and gut microbiota.
- Consultant of Gastroenterology at the Digestive System Research Unit and Head of the Experimental Laboratory at the University Hospital Vall d’Hebron (Barcelona).
- Former President of the Board of the Spanish Society for Probiotics and Prebiotics.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Research Institution of University Hospital Vall d’Hebron (www.vhir.org), Board of Directors of the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics (www.ISAPP.net) and the Steering Committee of the International Human Microbiome Consortium (IHMC, www.humanmicrobiome.org)
Intestinal mucosa, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease and probiotics.
- Honorary Member of the Spanish Society of Gastroenterology
- Fellow of the American Gastroenterological Association
Gut Microbiome and Immunity